BS Social Care are looking for an experienced Operations manager for a recognised and reputable fostering organisation. The service is based in Lambeth.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
- To contribute to the Fostering Service in delivering the overarching strategic plan for the business.
- To work with the Head of Fostering in delivering operational excellence, continuous improvement and financial performance of the business whilst safeguarding children and young people.
- To lead, motivate and guide a team of social care practitioners in ensuring that we provide outstanding care and the best possible outcomes for our children and child protection and safeguarding principles are embedded in practice.
- To work within legal and regulatory standards and requirements and ensure that the team's practice is of a consistent high quality, reflective, evidence based, documented and quality assured.
- To achieve regional targets and KPI's for placement growth and carer recruitment and retention whilst ensuring that the needs of the children and young people and the carers are met when making placements.
- Ensure that practitioners are working in partnership with the relevant authority so that decisions made are underpinned by theory and the best evidence and to meet the needs of the carers, and the child in placements care plan and placement agreement, whilst ensuring that the safety of children remains the highest priority.
- Recognise the strengths and development needs of practitioners, and use practice observation, reflection and feedback mechanisms, including the views of children and carers, to develop practice. Develop a culture of learning and improvement, where staff are sufficiently stretched and mentored to meet their aspirations.
- Ensure that practitioners receive regular high quality individual supervision, recognise when situations may evoke an emotional response which impact upon the effectiveness of their social work practice and decision making, step in an proactively support individuals.
- Ensure staff and carers receive appropriate training and are kept abreast of current research and changes in practice providing ongoing opportunities and support for continued professional development.
- Hold regular team huddles, team meetings and peer group supervision, leading on development workshops as appropriate.
- Fully embed recording processes, provide the full analysis underpinning decisions, making sure the rationale for why and how decisions have been made is comprehensive and well expressed.
- Use focused questioning with practitioners to clarify the direction of work, and identify whether practitioners need to adopt a more reflective and curious approach, or respond with greater pace and assertion. Ensure methods and tools used are based on the best evidence, that progress is frequently reviewed and that care plans and placement agreements are adjusted accordingly.
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge of safeguarding policy and procedures and establish and embed operational expectations in relation to this. Monitor and quality assure all aspects of service delivery to ensure full compliance with safeguarding policies and procedures throughout the service
- Ensure that paperwork and procedures in relation to significant incidents and notifiable events are completed within company timescales.
- Ensuring compliance with safeguarding procedures, keeping the Head of Fostering informed of potential concerns and notifying them immediately of any child protection matter or serious complaint.
- Maintain up to date, working knowledge of relevant legislation and case law and exercise statutory powers in situations where children are at risk of significant harm, ensuring that action taken is proportionate to risk.
- Build positive relationships and be visible and accessible to all staff, foster carers and the young people and children in our care. Manage and actively participate in social activities relating to the support and retention of children, young people and foster carers.
- Build and develop influential and respectful partnerships between practitioners and other partner agencies including the LA's and LADO'S, attending strategy meetings or other meetings as required and contribute to investigations and complaints in line with level of responsibility.
- Actively contribute to regional growth in placements by leading placement meetings and engaging daily with the placement service team offering support, guidance and influencing decision making.
- To oversee and support the recruitment of prospective Foster Carers ensuring that customer need and placement demand is understood, and is effectively translated into the agency's recruitment and assessment plans.
- Contribute to and support the delivery of the Regional Customer Engagement strategy including attendance at relevant meetings to promote our services. Demonstrate a sound knowledge of the different placement packages available to carers and identify re-charges to LA's where appropriate.
- Respond thoughtfully and proactively to complaints and mistakes, creating learning opportunities for self, staff and the organisation.
- To undertake the role and responsibility of Agency Decision Maker in relation to Fostering panel and Review panels
- Participate and support practitioners in the out of hours duty system on a rota basis
- Deputise for the Head of Fostering in line with service delivery and business expectations.